Su pirichittus de bentu are typical Sardinian sweets, prepared with lard and eggs. This is a very popular delicacy especially around Cagliari. And the women of this land jealously guard the secret of this recipe.
Ingredients for Sardinian sweets pirichittus de bentu:
- 1 kilogram of flour
- 1 liter of water
- 400 grams of lard
- 30 eggs
- 1 packet of yeast
- sugar for the icing
- In a saucepan, boil the liter of water with lard; throw in the flour and cook for half an hour, mixing until the mixture is well blended.
- Once the mixture cooled, place it in a terrine and slowly add the yeast and all the eggs, blend until the mixture has become compact.
- With a spoon, form balls of mixture and arrange them on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 250 degrees until they are swollen. At this point, lower the oven temperature to 180 degrees and continue to cook them until they reach a golden color.
- Lower the temperatures of the oven at 100 degrees and allow to dry the pirichittus for 2-3 hours.
The last operation before serving these traditional Sardinian sweets is to prepare the icing with sugar and water and brush at least twice each pirichittus de bentu.
Image source: www.flickr.com/photos/twwilliams