For the first time, the Castle of Orguglioso
was mentioned in 1286, in a treaty between the court of Arborea and the Municipality of Pisa. The fort was part of a defensive system that suffered in later centuries, the turbulent fortunes of all the disputed territory of Sardinia.
Around 1326 the Castle of Orguglioso
, with the other Sardinian castles hitherto held by the Municipality of Pisa
, passed to the Aragonese
. But its fortifications buckled under the onslaught of seven hundred knights loyal to the court of Arborea
during the conflict against the Crown of Aragon
(1353). Since then, the Castle of Orguglioso lost its defensive function: it became a mere geographical reference point for travelers and it was renamed Castle of Sassai
, in honor of the village located near it.